Standing Up For Clients Who Have Experienced Nursing Home Abuse And Neglect
Did you know that residents in a nursing home are protected from abuse and negligence by state and federal laws? If you suspect a family member has suffered abuse or neglect at a long-term care facility, you may have grounds for a nursing home abuse lawsuit and the attorneys can help at Heller Trakhtman & Associates.
What Is Nursing Home Abuse And Neglect?
Are you unsure of whether or not your case is abuse or neglect? We can help. Abuse is defined as any physical injury, sexual abuse or mental injury inflicted on a long-term care facility resident other than by accident. Neglect is defined as failure in a long-term care facility to provide appropriate and adequate medical or personal care that results in physical or mental injury to a resident or the deterioration of the same. Abuse is not relegated to physical or mental abuse and can include the nursing home environment. For example, is the building safe, clean and well-equipped?
Here is a list of resident rights included in the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act:
- The right to file a complaint
- The right to their own clothing and personal property with adequate storage
- The right to choose their own doctor
- The right to be informed of potential effects of medical treatment and the right to refusal
- The right to examine their medical records
- The right to have their appointed caregiver examine their medical records
- The right to manage their own finances
- The right to be free of physical restraints
- The right to freedom of communication
- The right to freedom of religion
Get Help With Nursing Home Abuse Cases
Do you believe that a member of your family has suffered neglect or abuse at their nursing home? The first step you will want to take is to contact the Illinois Department of Public Health. When the case has been reported, the attorneys can help navigate the legal process. Nursing homes and health care providers are represented by insurance companies and they will use their experience as nursing home abuse attorneys to help you prove your case and get the compensation that you and your family deserve.